রবিবার, ১২ জানুয়ারী, ২০১৪

Del Potro overpowers Tomic in Sydney final

Juan Martin Del Potro of Argentina holds up the winners trophy after defeating Australia's Bernard Tomic in the men's singles final at the APIA Sydney International Tennis Tournament here Saturday.
Juan Martin del Potro bludgeoned Bernard Tomic with his powerful forehand to win a lopsided Sydney International final Saturday.

The Argentine world number five took just 53 minutes to master the Australian defending champion 6-3, 6-1.

It was del Potro's 18th career title and he became the first Argentine to win in Sydney since David Nalbandian in 2009.

It was the ideal lead in to Monday's Australian Open for del Potro, who plays a qualifier in the first round and is seeded to face world number one Rafael Nadal in the quarter-finals.

"Finals are never easy, but I was surprised at my level of play tonight. I think I played great," del Potro said.

"My forehand was perfect. I made a lot of winners, many aces, good slices."

The big Argentine served eight aces and broke Tomic's serve four times for a comprehensive win.

"To start the year in this way it's very positive looking forward for the rest of the season. I need to keep working in the same conditions and the same way.

"Now it's the hardest tournament for us, and I will see if I can go further than last year (third round) in Melbourne.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন